Friday, May 17, 2013

Health Post - Gastritis & Juicing!


Hi!
I know I have been m.i.a for a very long time. However, I have that burning desire to journal my thoughts, fashion blog, and maybe even Vlog!  My brain is running 100mph and I need to release some of these thoughts & feelings into cyber space. Maybe someone will read it maybe or maybe not! Nonetheless, I am going to tell you about a little health issue I am currently going thru.
On Sunday April 28, I was diagnosed with Gastritis” and since then it has been quite a difficult experience for me as far as nutrition goes. First let me just say I did not know the seriousness of this infection/disease. If left untreated it could turn into an ulcer and even stomach cancer!
 Well I finally went to the ER after 5 days of intense stomach pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Once the labs came back, I was immediately put on antibiotics and IV to help with the dehydration.  I was also given pain medication to alleviate my nausea.  After a few hours of stabilizing treatment, I was sent home with three prescriptions drugs. By the time I was discharged from the hospital, all the pharmacies were closed which was a blessing in disguise. Why was it a blessing? Well because it forced me to do some research on this disease and look for natural ways for my body to heal itself. But most importantly, it made me “think” about what I was putting in my body. Hours later, what I mostly encountered on the Internet was a TON of different and confusing views on how to treat this digestive disorder. What I did find on most of these web forums and articles was that the inflammation is triggered by certain foods therefore; I had to eliminate these foods in order not to trigger the horrific pain associated with it. However, BEFORE I read my discharge instructions and did my research, I ate French Fries from McDonald's & a Turkey Hero (I was starving!).  Guess who had pain most of that night? This girl right here.
Obviously once I made myself, more knowledgeable I started eliminating foods that caused me nausea. For example, I noticed the other day that when I ate anything with onions I immediately felt nauseous. Of course, I would contribute it to other things never realizing that my body could not process it correctly because of all the acid it produced. I quickly found out that my stomach could not tolerate bread, dairy, very little meat and other foods like tomatoes and spinach.
I also had to limit my lemons and orange intake, the acid in citrus fruit can cause deadly stomach cramps. Since I was not fully aware of this, Monday morning I ordered my breakfast juice with my usually lemon and orange to give it a tangy flavor. Ohhh Boy was that a bad idea, not only was I paying for Sunday’s sin I was also paying for Mondays sins as well!
Let me tell you when you are in excoriating pain and you find out what the cause of that pain is you go above and beyond to make sure you never feel that again. Hence, I have been juicing and drinking smoothies these past few weeks. At first, it was not easy but now I cannot imagine living without “Juicing”! I know it sounds crazy but my body feels completely different in just a short amount of time. I have more energy, my weight has significantly decreased (5lbs in 2 weeks), my skin glows, my hair is shiny and my nails are strong.  I love theses natural “side effects”!

 
I hope that I will find the time to post more updates on my “juicing” and plant based diet adventures and fashion post!  Think Coral, Mint and Tribal/Aztec Prints for the spring and summer while sipping on some kale & carrot juice.

Stay blessed and inspired!

PS: Below are some pictures of me post hospitalization - shameless selfies, lol.




 
XOXO

~Ruthy

 

No comments:

Post a Comment